Saturday, June 2, 2007

Another Saturn

This is from last week and it's a slightly better image of Saturn than my first attempt. I was using the DMK21AF04 along with my 2X Siebert barlow in the C8. Saturn was getting a little low in the sky at the time, but the great transparency helped me get a little more detail:



Then I swapped out the DMK for my Philips SPC900NC webcam and tried to get a color image. The images I get from the SPC900NC always seem to have some banding that I haven't quite figured out yet. I removed most of it in Photoshop using Noel Carboni's Astronomy Tools plugin "Vertical Banding Noise Reduction."



Then I tried to manually add the DMK image above as a luminance layer to the color image. This was difficult since the two images did not line up and I could not get ImagesPlus to align them using the auto planet align function. A slight improvement, maybe??



That's probably it for Saturn attempts this year. Next on the list will be Jupiter, then maybe Mars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, as always you do some great work. You inspire me to learn more and image more. Thanks for all your help!

Clear Skies

Tracey Haley